So you have a standalone ESXi host or 2 that needs to be patched with the latest updates coming out of VMWare and you do not have a VCenter or are otherwise using the VMWare Update Manager. Here is the basic steps to get you updated and all patched up.
Here are the steps to getting your ESXi 5 Host patched.
- Download the patch file you want directly -> Get VMware Patches Here
- Enable SSH for remote support on the ESXi Host by accessing the (Security Profile) under Host Configuration.
- Place ESXi host is in Maintenance Mode.
- Using the vShpere Client browse your local datastore and make a directory called “Updates”, select this new folder and upload the patch zip file bundle to this folder.
- SSH into Host and execute the following command. (Replace [DATASTORE] and [PATCH_FILE] with your actual file information.
esxcli software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/[DATASTORE]/Updates/[PATCH_FILE].zip
You should get the following installation result.
Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.
Afterwards you should reboot the ESX host and upon it’s return it should now be patched with the build you applied above.
NOTE: If you try and use the old esxupdate command, which is still there, you will get this message:
~ # esxupdate Usage: This program is not meant to be used directly. Please use esxcli image/software instead.
esxupdate: error: Command must be specified Usage: This program is not meant to be used directly. Please use esxcli image/software instead.