Everytime you try to run the Windows Updater you always get the message “Windows can’t update important files and services while the system is using them. Save any open files and restart the computer, and try to check for new updates.“ This is caused by a Registry Key that has not been removed after a previous update.
There is a simple solution for some:
1. Open regedit.exe
2. Navigate to the Registry Key “HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/WindowsUpdate/Auto Update
3. Look for Registry Key “RebootRequired”.
4. Delete the Registry Key. Do not look for a value, there will be a KEY(folder) called “RebootRequired”
5. Reboot the Machine .
6. Run Windows update again.
If this fails to resolve issues you can try the following:
Empty your temporary Internet Files Folder
Open Run Command (Windows key + R)
type: cd %temp%
Empty the contents of that folder (del *.*)
Restart your computer
You can also give this a try:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
User Account Control permission
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.
This should solve your issue and allow you to Windows Update to install the next round of patches.