[Solved] NTFRS – Journal Wrap Errors detected on Domain Controller

On September 9, 2011, in How-to, by Cubert aka (Cube Dweller)

Are you getting this error in your File Replication Service?

The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set “DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)” is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.
Replica root path is : “c:\windows\sysvol\domain”
Replica root volume is :
A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to read from the NTFS USN journal is not found. This can occur because of one of the following reasons.
[1] Volume “\\.\C:” has been formatted.
[2] The NTFS USN journal on volume “\\.\C:” has been deleted.
[3] The NTFS USN journal on volume “\\.\C:” has been truncated. Chkdsk can truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the journal.
[4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a long time.
[5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk IO activity on
Setting the “Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore” registry parameter to 1 will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover from this error state.

This is caused when the Sysvol gets currupted and is simple to fix. I will walk you through the steps.

First off before we do anything lets backup by taking a Shadow Copy of the C: Drive. To do this we will open MyComputer and select the C:Drive, right click it and select properties. Now find the ShadowCopy Tab, highlight the C: Drive and click the “Create Now” button to create a backup point on the drive. You do not need to “Enable” ShadowCopy to take a 1 time snapshot.

Now that we have a backup point to go to if all hell breaks loose we can safely move on to the next step. Open up  REGEDIT and navigate to the RegKey -> System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters and create a new REG_DWORD key called Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore and place a 1 as the hex value.

Now launch a Command window(DOS) and run the following commands:

This will then cause the following to appear in your File Replication Service Event Log:

The File Replication Service is deleting this computer from the replica set “DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)” as an attempt to recover from the error state,
Error status = FrsErrorSuccess
At the next poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be re-added to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set.

This will be followed by the following Event Log:

File Replication Service is scanning the data in the system volume. Computer MyDomainServer cannot become a domain controller until this process is complete. The system volume will then be shared as SYSVOL.

This will be followed by the following Event Log:

The File Replication Service moved the preexisting files in c:\windows\sysvol\domain to c:\windows\sysvol\domain\NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog.

Now we need to wait a bit and allow the replication to complete. This has taken anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes for me based on server and what is being replicated. You will know it is complete when you get the Event Log:

The File Replication Service is no longer preventing the computer MyDomainController from becoming a domain controller. The system volume has been successfully initialized and the Netlogon service has been notified that the system volume is now ready to be shared as SYSVOL.

Once you get this log your replication is complete and the Journal Wrap issues are fixed. We now need to go back to REGEDIT and change the entry we placed in there from a 1 to a 0.

You are all done.

May this help someone out there..

73 Responses to “[Solved] NTFRS – Journal Wrap Errors detected on Domain Controller”

1. AK says:

Please add a big NOTE to your post , if people have only ONE DC in their environment , above procedure removes the entire SYSVOL and leads them to a total disaster.

2. gary fanning says:

thanks Cubert, that worked perfect for me today.

3. Hansen says:

It solved my problem, Thanks

4. gumby says:

What affect will there be trying to shadow copy a raid 1+0. For that matter on any RAID volume.

5. dominick says:

WORK !!!

6. Kevin says:

Thanks Cubert!

This helped us..!

7. It worked but with one caveat. I hade to disjoin and rejoin the workstations from the domain.

8. Richard says:

Thanks Cubert, worked perfectly for me.

9. Richard says:

Thanks worked a charm.

10. Peter says:

Genius, thanks for the help!!!

11. Jeremy says:

Cubert, this article was exactly what was required with my DC. I imagine the SYSVOL wasn’t right on mine because this DC is unstable and has been unexpectedly rebooting. Anyway, I can now go chase that problem since you have helped me fix the SYSVOL issue. Many thanks again!!!

12. Thank you that fixed my issue for Windows Server 2008 SBS to Windows Server 2012R2 Migration.

13. Pavan Arava says:

Thanks for details steps , was able to save my 48 hrs of time.

14. Mustafa Acikgoz says:

My problem was solved. Thanks for useful article.

15. Manuel Cruz says:

I’ve tried everything for an automatic restore mentioned above, to a D2 non-authoritive restore and even a D4 authoritive restore before I made it to this website. I thought for the first time I’d throw my issue out there like a net to see if I have any suggestions. My forest is currently in 2003 mode because I have 1 2003 DC and 2 2012 DC’s. I swapped all FSMO roles to the first and good 2012 DC way before I decided to purchase my second 2012 DC to eventually replace my old 2003 DC and in effect raise my forest functional level. The FSMO role transfers went fine by the way. The issue lies with my third DC which is the second 2012 DC. It constantly enters the journal wrap error state despite what recovery method I use. Sometime it enters 1 -3 1/2 hours after a restore is successfully performed. I’ve reached out to those more versed at the MS Stack then myself and even they are stumped. I also demoted the bad DC and changed its name as well. Any suggestions?

16. Hartmann says:

Dear Cubert,

Let me buy you a drink, any time you come to Benin (Africa).

I owe you all Guinness you wish for your Greatness sharing this article!

Thank you dear.

17. Chris says:

Question, does this retrieve information from another server to replace what is on the server with the issue? The reason I ask is this. I have a 2003 DC which I want to migrate over to a 2012 R2 server. I have noticed that the 2012 server will not allow logins if the 2003 server is down. So I was going to use Burflags to move the info over. However I have noticed that the 2003 server has the journal wrap error. It is the one with all the info so if it is delete all of my data is gone since the other server does not have that info. So I guess my question is this: Can I do this on the main server that has the current information? If not, what is my next step?

18. Kav says:

This messed up my primary DC. I waited for about 45 minutes and I still don’t have the netlogon share I have lost my whole sysvol and reverting to C: from the shadow copy cannot be done! it gives an error stating that it is on a clutered disk and contains OS files. What can I do????

19. Fordy says:

You’re a legend. This has been beating me up for weeks. A failing DC is now back online.

20. Lee Howard says:

For people who have a single domain and broke it (like me), they should use Burflags.

Fixed the deleted domain for me.

21. Ivan Koren says:

Dear Cubert, I usually don’t leave feedback on web but this time I have to. You have solved my problem which has been bothering me for months. I have googeled it through web and tryed many, many wonderful “fixes” but this one has finally done it. So simple, yet effective.
    Thank You very much !

22. Bartholomew-Michael Vassilantonakis says:

Dear Cubert, thanks for the solution. Very smooth and detailed post.
    It worked for me.

23. Mohammad Talal says:

Many thanks for your help and effort.

you are the best.